The updated training includes more guidance for trainers, updated resources, more flexible delivery options and new topics covered in the package including:
- Information on the concept of brain development and developmental trauma, including its impact on children’s feelings of safety and ability to regulate emotions.
- Coverage of “repair” parenting, including the PACE approach.
- Much stronger focus on culture and identity, including Aboriginal identity.
- Information on the impact on carers’ children.
- Information about engaging with health and education services.
On 1 July 2019, Shared Lives Victoria 2019 will replace Shared Stories Shared Lives 2006 as the mandatory pre-service foster care training package in addition to Our Carers Our Kids delivered by Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations. Until 30 June 2019, Shared Stories Shared Lives 2006 can continue to be delivered where necessary to ensure service continuity of training to prospective carers while staff complete mandatory familiarisation training.
More information about the updated training package and mandatory familiarisation training for agency staff is available at https://providers.dhhs.vic.gov.au/shared-lives-victoria-2019-information-agency-staff.
A new schedule of mandatory familiarisation training is available to agency staff from July 2019. Please go to the Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare calendar page for bookings: https://www.cfecfw.asn.au/calendar/ to view or book into available training.